Peter Y. Zavalij
Director, X-ray Crystallographic Center
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
091 Chemistry Building
University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
Office/Fax: (301) 405-1861
E-mail: pzavalij @ umd.edu
- 433 publications in peer reviewed journals: H-index = 60 (Publons), 68 (Google Scholar).
- Text/Reference Book: "Fundamentals of Powder Diffraction and Structural Characterization of Materials. Second Edition” by V.Pecharsky & P.Zavalij. Springer 2009 (Cover page, Preface, Online Materials).
- Reviews in Crystal Chemistry, Hydrothermal Synthesis, and Powder Diffractions.
- Recent Meetings & Workshop:
- Sep. 2015: Lecture at Workshop on Powder X-Ray Diffraction in Materials Science "Structure Solution from Powder Diffraction Data", Dresden, Germany.
- Apr. 2015: Lecture at 6th Workshop on X-ray Crystallography "Crystal Structure Determination from Powder Data", Shanghai, China.
- Oct. 2014: Lecture at Workshop on Powder X-Ray Diffraction in Materials Science "Structure Solution from Powder Diffraction Data", Dresden, Germany.
- Mar. 2014: Lecture at 5th Workshop on X-ray Crystallography "Crystal Structure Solution and Refinement from Powder Data", Shanghai, China.
- Jul. 2013: Lecture at the Denver X-ray Conference, ICDD workshop "Hands-on Rietveld Analysislysis", Westminster, CO.
- Sep. 2013: Plenary Lecture at The 12th Conference on Intermetallic Compounds "Structural Chemistry & Topology of Vanadium Oxide Frameworks", Lviv, Ukraine.
- Sep. 2013: Lecture at 4th workshop on Diffraction Methods "Practical Aspects of Crystal Structure Analysis using the Rietveld Method", Lviv, Ukraine.
- Sep. 2012: Lecture at International School on Modern Diffraction Methods of Structure Analysis "Restraints, Constraints and Rigid Bodies in Crystal Structure Determination and Refinement", Lviv, Ukraine
- Apr. 2012: Lecture at 3rd Workshop on X-ray Crystallography "Crystal Structure Solution and Refinement from Powder Data", Shanghai, China
- May, 2011: ACA presentation "Crystal Structure of New Superconducting Materials MxFe2-x/2Se2: twinning vs. disorder", New Orleans
- Sep. 2009: OMEE opening presentation "Vanadium Oxide Extended Frameworks: Structural Chemistry & Applications", Lviv, Ukraine
Scientific Interests & Expertise:
Chemistry:Crystal-chemistry of vanadium oxide open frameworks; Structure-properties relationship in metal oxide and metal phosphate materials; Structure and properties of battery materials; Nano-crystalline materials; Hydrothermal synthesis; Copper(I) π-complexes.
Crystallography:Crystal structure from powder and single crystal data; Structure determination from powder data; Rietveld refinement; Twinning; Disordered and Modulated Structures; Crystallographic Databases; CIF
Computing: Crystallographic software Crystal Structure Determination for Widows (WinCSD) (with L. Akselrud, Y. Grin and V. Pecharsky) for crystal structure determination (including incommensurate modulated and composite structure) and refinement from either powder or single crystal diffraction.
2005-present Director of X-ray Crystallographic Laboratory, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Maryland, College Park, MD.
1996-2004 University Crystallographer, Institute for Materials Research & Chemistry Department, State University of New York at Binghamton.
1993-1996 Visiting Scientist, Institute for Materials Research & Chemistry Department, State University of New York at Binghamton.
1989-1992 Docent, Chemistry Department, L’viv State University.
1984-1989 Lecturer, Chemistry Department, L’viv State University.
1983-1984 Research Associate, Chemistry Department, Lviv State University, Ukraine.
1980-1982 Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry at L’viv State University (Ukraine). Theses “X-ray Structure Investigation of Copper (I) Chloride π-Complexes with Substituted Olefins”1974-1979 B.A., M.A. in Chemistry at L’viv State University (Ukraine). Theses “Crystal Structure of Dibenzo-methylphosphoryl-15-Crown-5”.
- “Fundametals of X-ray diffraction for structural characterization of materials” Chem608x, 3 credits course (University of Maryland)
- “X-ray powder diffraction: principles and practice” on-line course (SUNY Learning Network, Binghamton University)
- Selected chapters: “Powder and single crystal x-ray diffraction” in Solid State Techniques course and “X-ray powder diffraction on polymers” in Polymers course (Binghamton University)
- “Electron diffraction” course (Binghamton University)
- Previously: General chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, General Chemistry, Methodology of Teaching Chemistry, Computing in Chemistry and Materials Science, Crystal Chemistry, Phase Diagrams.