STEPS TO GRADUATION — CHECKLIST
All Graduate School paperwork is due to the Graduate Office 3 business days prior to the Graduate School's official deadlines and these deadlines could be earlier than listed below so be sure to check them*
Preparing for your dissertation defense
- Check Graduation Deadlines
- Apply for Graduation through Testudo by the first week of the semester in which you plan to graduate. (If you do not graduate this rolls over)
- Submit the Nomination of Thesis or Dissertation Committee Form to the Graduate Office during the first month of the semester in which you plan to defend; if you need to nominate a Special Member to sit on your committee, please fill out this Google Form at least 3 weeks before the deadline for submitting the nomination form.
- After the student’s committee is approved by the Office of the Registrar, the committee chair (or designee) will submit a request for the Electronic Report of Examining Committee (REC)*
Scheduling Your Defense: Rules & Processes
Graduate Office suggests defending no later than 2 weeks before the deadline to submit your final dissertation.
- Determine the date and time of your defense
- Book a room for your defense
- Here is the list of Rooms for Graduate Students (during Wing 1 Renovation)
- Our department Resource Booking System can be accessed here
- Announce your Ph.D. defense
Please fill out the linked form with the requested information and email Erin or email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns (failing to do this could result in the cancellation of your defense).
Dissertation Seminar and Defense
- Provide a copy of your completed dissertation to your committee at least 10 business days before the defense.
- Your committee should fill out the Graduate Outcome Assessment form
- Student files and paperwork (finished or not) should be returned at the end of the meeting. Your advisor should NOT keep the paperwork.
Report of Examining Committee Signatures
- This should occur no less than 3 days prior to the final Graduate School deadline
- Finish all revisions to the dissertation and get final approval from your advisor and/or Committee
- Remind your advisor to sign off the REC form
- Check with the Graduate Office to see if your REC form is complete
Submit Defended & Approved Dissertation
- Submit the Final Dissertation to the Graduate School using ProQuest ETD by the Graduate School deadline
- Students may place an embargo of up to two years on electronic access to their document through ProQuest's Digital Dissertations and DRUM without approval from the Graduate School
- You may submit a Dissertation Embargo Request if you’d like to place an embargo that’s more than 2 years.
After submitting your dissertation:
- Complete the Graduate School Surveys
- Pay any balance on your student account – required before you can receive your diploma.
- Confirm your address is accurate in the UMD system
- You are technically a student until the conferral date. You cannot move to a non-student appointment on campus until after that date, nor should you register for OPT to begin before that.
- Fill this form to provide Graduate Office with your permanent contact information and any placement information.
- If necessary, request a Certification of Completion letter from the Registrar’s Office. This is primarily used during the job search if you defend early in a semester and need to prove you are finished.
- Register for CMNS Commencement (Mid-Semester, Fall & Spring). Check the CMNS website for Commencement information