The Chemistry Computing Services Group – Chem-IT maintains departmental websites and all administrative computer systems, databases and software. We work in conjunction with the University’s Division of Information Technology (DIT) to provide faculty, staff, and students with optimal operating systems and network connectivity. We provide assistance hardware and software configuration, data port activations, and various account requests for all departmental personnel. The lab houses 18 intel iMacs with triple boot capability.
OWL Computer Lab (located in CHM 3222)
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 9-5 Mon-Fri
All students must have a print account to print in any of the computer labs on campus. Students must first have a Terrapin Express account. Printing in the OWL Lab is currently free of cost. However, you must bring your own paper!
All seminar rooms and some classrooms are equipped with overhead projectors. These rooms may be reserved online. The Marker seminar room 0112 and the Lecture halls (1402 and 1407) are equipped with LCD projectors. Seminar room 3219 is equipped with a technology cart that contains an LCD projector, windows computer, DVD, VCR, speakers, document camera and internet access. To reserve a laptop computer and/or an LCD projector for a classroom or seminar presentation please use our online reservation system. Reservations must be submitted at least 24 hours in advance.
Email accounts and directory identifications are automatically set when students/faculty/affiliates first register for email at http://www.it.umd.edu/new/ You only need to register once. Each student will be assigned an email address (yourUID@umd.edu) through the Google Applications For Education service (GAFE). This official email address MUST be used for all departmental communications and listserves. Email can be checked with the web-interface (mail.google.com). Email clients are NOT supported (i.e. Entourage, Macintosh Mail, Outlook Express, Mozilla Thunderbird or Outlook).
Virus protection is a necessary for all computers connected to the network. FireEye Endpoint Security software is available and must ONLY be installed on machines that are owned by the University.
- Windows: https://terpware.umd.edu/Windows/Title/3959
- Mac OS: https://terpware.umd.edu/Mac/Title/3959
Microsoft Forefront Security is available free for download for all University students at http://terpware.umd.edu/Windows/Title/1843. Some software is available for personal use at the campus site licensing office see: http://terpware.umd.edu. We have a number of scientific software installed on workstations.
Web Application development and databases
- Event registration forms
- Database support/back-end programming
- Dynamic Web site front-end programming
- Surveys and Electronic Ballots
Information Technology and Computing Links
- University of Maryland Custom Apple and Dell Stores
- FTP Accounts and Web Development Policy Document
- Campus Help Desk
- TERPware: University of Maryland software download site .Students can now download popular Microsoft products Office and Windows operating system upgrades for their educational and personal use. Faculty and staff members can still download Office and Windows operating system upgrades for work-at-home and personal use on their personal computers.
- Procurement and Ordering System (internal use only)