- Rollins College, B.A., 1983
- Indiana University, Ph.D., 1987
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Exxon Corporate Research Science Laboratories, 1987-1989
- 2000 – present: Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Maryland
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
- Member, University of Maryland Energy Research Center (UMERC) and the Maryland Nanocenter.
- Affiliate member of the Center for Nanophysics and Advanced Materials.
- 1989 – 2000: Assistant and Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, The University of Maryland
- 1987 – 1989: Postdoctoral Fellow, Solid State Research Group, Exxon Research and Engineering Co., Corporate Research Science Laboratories, Annandale, New Jersey.
Materials Chemistry, Materials Synthesis, Heterogeneous Catalysis, Fuel Cell Research, Transition Metal Main Group Clusters (Zintl Ions), NMR Spectroscopy, Crystallography.
Major Recognitions and Honors
- University Distinguished Scholar – Teacher
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, College of Chemical and Life Sciences
- Exxon Postdoctoral Fellowship
- William Nebergall Award for outstanding doctoral research in Inorganic Chemistry